Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Evaluating My GAME Plan Progress

My actions to reach my goal of promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility include demonstrating how to recognize reliable websites and information. I have incorporated several steps into this process: modeling how to break down URL's, identifying the components that qualify a valid website, and requiring my students to claim ownership of thier own productions which will help them recognize the importance of sites they have utilized.

I have learned that my students and I still have a long way to go; this is an on-going process. By continuously citing my sources, modeling, and requiring my students to cite their resources and claim their fame, they should become more proficient with learning through valid websites.

My actions to reach my goal of engaging in professional growth and leadership are also ongoing. I have learned a tremendous amount through my Walden courses, technology training, PLC's, and independent research. My Walden colleagues have helped me with ideas for organizing all of the myriad of technology tools into a portfolio with folders for standards, units, data, and accompanying technology resources. I am still working on time adjustments; it is very overwhelming transitioning everything!I have discovered many technology tools and websites for enhancing learning in my classroom like scavenger hunts and virtual field trips. Putting it all into action in an organized, accessible way is one of my biggest adjustments.

However, my biggest adjustment is to find the time to incorporate more Problem Based Learning into my everyday schedule for my students. After learning from this week's resources, I realize that this type of activity teaches the standards while promoting motivation and engagement. PBL allows students to demonstrate and learn content throughout the process, while gaining ownership of thier knowledge.

Ertmer, P. (2009). Spotlight on technology: Problem-based learning. Laureate Education, Inc. Baltimore.

3 comments:

  1. I think the technology that we have been learning is overwhelming. When we first learn it we want to immediately incorporate it into our class lessons but we are slowed down by time or the lack of technology tools. I wish I had more time also to fit more technology aspects into my class schedule. yolette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the time adjustments. We learn all of this new technology and want to incorporate it into our lesson plans, but trying to find the time to do it is always a struggle. I believe that the key is not to transition everything, but to pick one or two technologies that we want to incorporate into our lesson plans and build from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie and Yolette,

    I am so glad I am not the only one feeling so pressured with incorporating more and more technology with less and less time! I agree that I need to be more selective with which programs to use instead of trying too many! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete